Bicycles are used for transporting anything and everything you can think of including but not limited to TONS of Matooke (green bananas), firewood, refrigerators (smaller than the American fridge, but still), and occasionally a corpse. Carol is always willing to turn her Suzuki into a hearse when necessary. Fortunately such occasions are rare but it does happen.
I'm pretty sure that nobody in Uganda is O.C.D.
Heterosexual men hold hands sometimes and nobody thinks anything of it. Yes, really.
Some children literally get on their knees to say thank you when receiving money for tuition (every school has fees so many families cannot afford to send their children to school).
Women rarely wear pants and never wear make-up.
Taking pictures of people and places in town is not always appreciated by the locals.
Polygamy is a widely accepted practice.
Black exhaust spewing from vehicles is ubiquitous.
Since there is no such thing as waste management, people burn their rubbish.
Goat meat doesn't taste as bad as I thought it would.
When driving through villages, the children wave or run toward us shouting: "Muzungu! Hallooo! How ah youuuuu?!"
Fort Portal has one, yes one, police car.
Much of the foliage is the same as or similar to what you find on Maui in Kihei, Makawao, Haiku and Kula.
Children will walk for an hour or more to get to school.
Doctors and nurses are among the lowest paid professionals in Uganda.
Teenagers appear to be younger than they are because their growth is often stunted by malnutrition.
My new friend, Atwooki, told me that he praises God for the long life he has been given. Atwooki is 45 years old.
Random Observations on Kaggy's Random Observations:
ReplyDeleteShouldn't O.C.D. be C.D.O.? It really should be in alphabetical order.
I love the idea of not wearing makeup... but really, no pants? Don't the restaurants there have dress codes?
"ubiquitous"? Shoot, where's my dictionary? MHS grad, you know...
One police car? I could have some fun over there... I see why the buses drive as they do.
If 45 is a long life, I would be really old over there.
Loved reading this list Katherine! I can just imagine the wonder and laughter over it all as you discovered each thing... Erin S.
ReplyDelete