
Last Sunday Carol took Jacob and me to her church. It had been raining so the unpaved road was quite muddy in places and required Carol to shift into her four-wheel-drive at one point. She was explaining along the way that the rain often keeps villagers away who walk for an hour or more to get to church. Because of the rain there would be no drums which are used as a call to worship much like a tolling church bell in the western world. I had been asked to "preach the sermon" and so was feeling a bit jittery as we approached the doors to the sanctuary. But I was instantly put at ease as I was warmly welcomed by Reverend Frances Rutooro. He is tall, dark (obviously) and handsome and loves Jesus with all of his heart. His wife, Florence, works at the Manna Rescue Home and they are both dear friends of Carol's. We settled into a pew near the front of the sanctuary and I nervously reviewed my notes. I was glad that Carol had convinced Reverend Rutooro to deliver the majority of the sermon and that I would be sharing
briefly from God's word. What do you share with people who live in abject poverty and face death regularly? We are worlds apart and yet we are brothers and sisters in Christ. Desperate for ideas I asked Carol for an appropriate topic. "Tell them that riches don't satisfy, only Jesus satisfies". She explained that many Africans have the misconception that Americans are always happy because of their prosperity. As I waited for my turn to speak I tried not to be distracted by the clucking chickens loitering outside the open door or the cow passing by. Children filed in late and sat attentively alone with no parents to be seen. It was finally my turn to introduce myself and to share Jesus' words with the congregation: "one's life does not consist in the abundance of things he possesses" (Luke 12:15). I am not sure if I convinced them of the vanity of riches but I hope I was able to encourage them by reminding them that their treasure is in heaven (Matthew 6:20) and that they are rich in things that money cannot buy. "For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich."
Wow, Kaggy! You preach it girl! Amazing how God is directing your steps. Keep it up "good and faithful servant"... :-)
ReplyDelete