Sunday, January 18, 2009

An Introduction to Ugandan Orphans

I was shocked to learn that at least 30% of the Ugandan population consists of orphans. I began meeting some of them one by one on Saturday morning as they came to Carol's office to be interviewed in hopes of qualifying for the Y.E.S. Uganda program. I was able to observe the process as Carol did her evaluations trying to determine the depth of each child's need. All are needy but Carol seeks God's wisdom to discern which children are the most desperate. It is a difficult and emotional process. Once the backgrounds of the children are investigated by one of Carol's staff, a decision is made. The depth of suffering and loss experienced by these children is staggering and difficult to comprehend. Later in the day I met a large family of 23 orphans who are cared for by their grandmother. Their grandmother's daughter, Rose, is one of Carol's staff members. Rose was raised in a family of 13 children and all but 3 of her siblings have died of AIDS leaving the children pictured above to be cared for by their grandmother. Getting even just one meal a day is a challenge for this family and the water they consume is carried from a nearby swamp. We had the privilege of delivering food to their home which consisted of a large sack of ground maize, ground G-nuts (peanuts) and a large bundle of matooki (bananas). It was here that I discovered the power of joy, faith and courage in the face of extreme poverty. "Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted" (Matthew 5:4)

6 comments:

  1. I looove that picture!
    Louise <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavenly Father, we thank you for your love and caring to us, your creation. We love you for the sacrifice you made to come to earth and die for our sins. Blessed be your wonderful name!

    Jesus, I pray for Carol in Uganda. I ask you to give her insight and an anointing by the Holy Spirit so she will work efficiently and directly to organize the office in the manner that will be best. Give her wisdom and knowledge so she will not need to 're-do' any task.

    Protect her health and stamina so she can be filled with JOY, Love, and Peace as she performs this special work you have given her.

    In the precious name of Jesus we ask.
    Jesus. Jesus. Jesus.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kag,
    It is awesome for you to be seeing the truth of the Bible, God's Word, revealing itself to you in the faces of those precious children. I can see why it is hard for us in our first world comforts to experience the things that you're experiencing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kaggy-
    What great lessons in thankfulness we're getting from following your experiences. When I think of that grandmother struggling to care for all those children merely by God's grace, I have to admit that God wants to change our perspective of hardship here in this country that He's so richly blessed. You really are a half a world away from home, aren't you? We'll pray for Rose's mother, and that all those grandchildren will have hearts devoted to Jesus. Were their parents believers when they died? Hope so.

    We've had lots of reminders lately to be content in all things (especially hearing about our friends in Oregon being without power for 5 days!), so your mission in Uganda is challenging us to be thankful for even more that we take for granted. Who can really comprehend a percentage of orphans that large? God bless you, Carol, and all the Y.E.S. Uganda workers for making a difference in the name of Christ!

    Love, Jill and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaggy,
    Can you please bring one of those adorable orphans home with you for our family? We would love to adopt anyone of them!
    Love,
    The Strangs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Kaggy, you gotta work on your tan, girl! You look like one haole! Nah, only joke. For real kine, but, that is one powerful story and picture! I'm so glad you are there, and can share with us what you see. It's so hard to imagine... Anyway, please hug all those wonderful people and children from us guys on da other side of the world! Keep it up, Miss Bloggy... Love hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete