
I know it looks like Rose is giving me a pedicure in the picture above but what she’s really doing is digging a jigger out of my big toe. Jiggers are very common here and typically like to burrow their way into your skin where they lay eggs which hatch into flesh eating worms. They especially like to live under the toe nails. Are you grossed out yet? The key is to get the egg sac out before it hatches. Rose is the official jigger digger here and did a great job of removing the sac without breaking it. Thank you Rose! Because the children here go barefoot they often have jigger infested toes and feet which are unfortunately neglected and therefore develop into painful, unsightly and sometimes dangerous conditions. I saw one child’s jigger eaten foot a few days ago and wondered how he could even walk at all. Many natives have no toenails whatsoever due to extensive jigger history. I can pretty much guarantee that I'll never forget this!
When I first found out, I got (literal) chills down my back just thinking about it. And I am still getting chills when I think about it! Move over wooden popsicle stick scraping on the teeth!
ReplyDeleteWell, Jigger me timbers! Yeah, you send jiggers down my spine too! I had to "Google" what a jigger was... I realized it wasn't a shot of liquor and moved on to sand flea! Ugh! The pictures that come up are nasty! I bet you see all that kine stuffs over there, but, yeah? Man. Eh, you owe dear Rose one hefty pay raise for taking care of your feet! That's one awesome lady! Keep your slippahs on - or maybe your thigh high fishing boots... I don't know. Flea collar around the ankle? Anyway, take it easy, girl! We'll be praying for strong toes!
ReplyDeleteDespite your overly friendly jigger, your feet are still beautiful, says Paul in Romans 10:
ReplyDelete"...And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things!"
Well, you were sent to preach and bring glad tidings! Lord, we pray that you would protect Kaggy's beautiful feet from any further jigger attacks so she wouldn't have to endure the removal experience again. And we give thanks for Rose's skill at extraction. What an amazing example of Christ's love she is. Amen.
I've come across some pretty awful foot dilemmas as a dancer, but having your poor innocent toe attacked by a sinister invader...that toe-tally cuts to the sole.
Love, Jill and family
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey... I am thinking that you must have some really great feet for the work of the gospel!! May the LORD protect you from the attacks of these wicked little bugs!!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Cindy
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAloha, Kaggy...
ReplyDeleteAh, yes, the bugs! Pictures never give you the sounds, the smells, the weather, or the bugs! So glad Rose has the skill to dig those little critters out safely. Your parents gave us your blog info last night so Diane and I have been catching up on your adventures. Thanks SO much for doing this to keep all of us up to date on what God is doing in you and through you while you are there. God's best to you, Kaggy...Donn (and Diane)
Unbelievable! You sure look calm. I would be quite beside myself. Protect those little tootsies as you keep them on the course God has set out for you. Love you!! xoxo
ReplyDeletecreepy - in a cool sort of way. I bet this incident will bond you and Rose in an answer to some serious prayer for you ladies.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Louise <><
When you come back, you must treat yourself and your poor feet to a pedicure!
ReplyDeleteWhen you come back you need to treat yourself and your poor feet to a pedicure!!
ReplyDelete